- Who said size is not important? — Keeping Rails logfile sizes down
Tagged as: rails rubyonrails tip
- Sebastian Kanthak – FileColumn – easy handling of file uploads in Rails — Nice little rails plugin for making file uploads easy
Tagged as: programming rails rubyonrails webdev
- Code Snippets: Atom rxml template [ruby] [rails] [rss] [xml] [atom] [blinksale] — Probably will come in handy
Tagged as: atom rails rubyonrails template xml
- Learn Python in 10 minutes | Poromenos’ Stuff —
Tagged as: guide howto programming python
- Apples To Oranges Blog – Using CSS to create simple bar graphs — Lovely – especially the simpler ones. Would be great in Project Brahe, a little bit of dynamic magic…
Tagged as: css design graphing webdesign
- pasta and vinegar � Game controller trick for Katamari Damacy — Ahehe. It’s Track and Field all over again! (But seriously: when you’re given an interface, the instinct is to subvert it, hack it, and what better way than by modifiying the hardware? It’s the low-tech version of an autofire button)
Tagged as: cheat games hack interface joypad
So that was weird
13 January 2006
I upgraded iTunes from 4.7 to 6.02. It was on 4.7.1 (first with podcasting) until the reformat, and today, I wondered where my podcasts were, and realised that plain old 4.7 can’t handle them.
So I upgraded. Then it decided to copy everything to my iPod again. Except it forgot a few albums I’d very recently ripped. Weird – hope it hasn’t lost random things throughout my collection. Bizarre. I’m re-ripping Lloyd Cole and Roots Manuva right now.
Fixing the “iChat instantly quits on launch” problem
11 January 2006
So, you may or may not remember that I was afflicted with this pain in the neck of a problem: namely, you launch iChat, it loads for a second, and then dies immediately. In trying to solve it, I funted my computer, and needed to reinstall.
Last night, my computer ran out of battery (at the 51% mark, no less – let’s hope this battery holds out), and didn’t sleep, so I gave it a hard reset and thought nothing more.
This morning, I realise I haven’t relaunched iChat – so I do – and it dies immediately. “Bugger,” I think, “this is the same problem as before”. It’s also the same problem my girlfriend’s iBook has.
Then, thanks to this helpful Apple Discussions post, I solved it. The issue is between the iChat in 10.4.3 and my Netgear DG834 wireless router – namely, the implentation of UPnP (Universal Plug n Play) in the Netgear box. My router, incidentally, is on firmware 3.0.something – the latest.
To get iChat working again: log into the router, scroll down the left hand menu and choose the UPnP menu. Then: untick the “enable UPnP” box, click Apply; re-enable it, click Apply.
iChat now works. Bizarre, but fortunately solved. It’s also apparently fixed in 10.4.4, released yesterday, but I’m not upgrading just yet due to being bitten on 10.4.3.
- News – Miyamoto talks Odama // Gamecube /// Eurogamer — "Nintendo’s theme for 2006 will be ‘Create new fun’". Yes!
Tagged as: games gaming nintendo
- Parsing a RSS Feed — Gosh. That’s easy! Thank you, standard library…
Tagged as: howto programming rss ruby
06 January 2006
Wow! I just won a year’s subscription to Make in the O’Reilly ONLamp survey. I’ve every issue of the mook so far, and have been enjoying it hugely, so am looking forward to another year’s worth. Thanks, O’Reilly!
- 2sheds 4u: Installing Ruby on Rails on Debian system — Will probably need this.
Tagged as: administration linux rubyonrails server
- Deploying Rails with LightTPD — I’m going to need this at some point in the future.
Tagged as: development lighttpd rails rubyonrails server
- famfamfam.com: Silk Icons — A free icon set – with 719 different icons in it. Lovely and consistent, really usable (though they only come in small sizes) and covering almost everything you’d want to do with a web application.
Tagged as: design free icons webdesign
- Game Studies 0501: The Hunt for Collaborative War Gaming – CASE: Battlefield 1942 by Tony Manninen and Tomi Kujanp�� — Quite weighty, so I’m going to come back to this later. A look at the goal of co-op FPS gameplay, taking Battlefield 1942 apart piece by piece.
Tagged as: essay games multiplayer
- slower.net log: B&W Conversion — This is my favourite black-and-white conversion action for Photoshop, though I lose the last little bit at the end. Been looking for this for a while, following my reinstall.
Tagged as: blackandwhite photography photoshop