- MoMAstore – Klong — Klong!
Tagged as: klong
- Sanscons – SOME RANDOM DUDE — Transparent, any-colour icons, via css and magic
Tagged as: css design graphics icons webdesign
- RUBY: ExampleDesignPatternsInRuby —
Tagged as: howto object oo patterns programming ruby
Fortunately, I do not have Deep Vein Thrombosis
13 February 2006
That’s the upshot of this weekend.
Over the past few days, I’ve had a slowly growing pain in my right thigh. Like needles, jabbing away, and it really hurts when I bash it into things. By Saturday, it had spread from a single spot to the whole thigh, and it hurt quite a bit. So I called NHS Direct – rather late, I must admit – and they suggested I go to the local hospital. Which is a half hour walk, so I took a taxi.
At one in the morning.
Turns out I don’t have Deep Vein Thrombosis, after all.
No, I have pulled a muscle in my right thigh. The muscle that keeps you sitting upright. “Have you been doing a lot of sitting?” asked the doctor. Yes, I said, yes I have. All day at work, and then all night at home (or for a few hours at least) bashing away at my presentation for Emerging Tech. And it’s not just duration – stress levels are quite high, too, regarding that.
In short: I’ve been sitting too hard.
Then I walked back from the hospital at 1.30am. Which pretty much threw Sunday out of joint.
- Engines of Democracy — Lovely business 2.0 piece, about a GE plant that builds jet engines where teams manage themselves, and all answer to one "boss". Interesting methodologies at work.
Tagged as: business management work
- Josh Smith Online – Frequency of Profanity in Halo 2 — Brief, informal survey: how do people swear when they play Halo? Answer: lots, and surprisingly frequently using homophobic/racist terms. Depressingly accurate, given my experience.
Tagged as: games halo2 homophobia racism vernacular
- Kikizo Games: News: Exclusive: Hands-On with PlayStation 3 — ‘PS3 controller specifics are "nothing we need to be concerned about as developers," explains the techie.’ – you *what*?
Tagged as: console controller development games ps3
- tim’s journal: ODBC MySQL Mail Merge — The bug Darryl Miles points out is the important thing to note, and a real show-stopper. Handy to be able to do this, though
Tagged as: merge mysql odbc office word
- TNPI – Do it Yourself .mac — Nifty – setting up WebDAV on your own server, and then making OSX think it’s really a .Mac account!
Tagged as: dotmac webdav
- Random Etc.: chatbots for to-do list management? — Lovely idea for a little application from Tom Carden – managing todo lists via IM. Could probably knock this up as a little challenge.
Tagged as: application chatbot im productivity
Web apps – the wrap-up
09 February 2006
Well, that was pretty great. Tom‘s talk was pretty staggering – lots of ideas I’ve been following over the past year or two all coalescing together into one big lump. Very excited by that; really need to sit down and think it over when I’ve got some space. Cal, Joshua, and Ryan were all also excellent; Ryan’s talk especially, given its real-world, raw-data approach. Lots to think about.
I pointed out on the (slightly sarcastic) IRC back channel that it’s not necessarily the individual facts coming out that mattered – many people knew them already (like “don’t forget to cache”, etc) – but the context, the stories, the examples that wrap around them. Context is so important, and the summit put masses into context in a really exciting way. Shame there wasn’t more networking, but I had a good night afterwards, and it was nice to see a few old familiar faces, like Meg and Cal again, as well as meeting Rod for the first time.
My photos from the event are now online. Pretty pleased with the way they came out, given how far I was away from the stage, and how (relatively) slow my lens was.
- Rails Best Practices, Tips and Tricks — Some really handy stuff in here; it’s valuable most for the simple fact that it’s all in one place.
Tagged as: development rails ruby rubyonrails
- Design Melt Down — Lovely web design resource; clear, clean, and some good ideas.
Tagged as: design layout typography web
Future of Web Apps, London, 8th February 2006
07 February 2006
So I’m going to be at the Carson Systems “Future of Web Apps” summit tomorrow. Looking forward to it a lot, and looking forward to meeting a whole host of new people. If you see a six-foot redhead with a goatee and a quiff, do say hi!